University of Maryland – Baltimore County
Performing Arts and Humanities Building
Dance Department, Technology Studio — 2nd Floor
July 17-21, 2017 • 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Tuition: $320; Early Registration (through May 31) $280
Maryland CPD Credits: 2
Musicians and dancers come together in this interdisciplinary course!
Discover a vibrant way to enrich your skills, knowledge and teaching abilities. Using techniques of Dalcroze Eurhythmics, a system of study developed in Switzerland in the early 1900s, you’ll experience rhythmic movement exercises that embody specific music principles.
- It’s about opening the ear to hearing elements of dance in music.
- It’s about opening the eye to seeing elements of music in dance.
- It’s about time… in space and in sound.
MusiKinesis is a practical study in the nexus of dance and music designed to inspire you with fresh skills, knowledge and insights.
Dancers – Forget about superficial “mickey-mousing.” Don’t even think of your standard “Music for Dance” course.
Take a week to:
- Develop personal musicality and change your approach to dance performance – from the barre to the stage.
- Learn pedagogical techniques for teaching dance students of all ages and levels, improving their sense of music.
- Discover new choreographic ideas for integrating elements of music in sound and in physical form.
- Add to your repertory of teaching ideas, favorite music and personal practices.
Musicians – Take off your shoes and move into a new dimension of music.
Take this class to:
- Perceive and perform music with new depth and insights.
- Teach more effectively using ear, mind and body in ways your students will enjoy.
- Approach theory, improvisation and composition from a new perspective.
- Learn new exercises, games and strategies for developing musicianship.
Maryland teachers earn 2 CPD Units for the course.
Successful completion confers Level A MusiKinesis Certification.